Top 10 reasons to buy local
By Susan Odum
Community & Economic Development
University of Illinois Extension
- Local businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy; therefore, the more money you spend locally, the more those dollars stay in our community.
- Local businesses employ individuals who live within the community and contribute to the growth of the local economy.
- Buy Local contributes to the growth of the local tax base and provides needed revenues to support essential services, like public safety and infrastructure improvements, such as roads and streets.
- Local business owners have a vested interest in our community’s future and are less likely to leave.
- When local businesses succeed, they stay and they thrive, which in turn attracts new businesses.
- Local businesses are the major supporters of local charities, athletics programs, fundraisers and school activities.
- Local business owners attend our local churches, school programs and community events and their children and grandchildren attend our local schools.
- Local businesses traditionally offer superior customer service and take the time to build personal and lasting relationships with their customers.
- Local businesses are the lifeblood of the community, therefore, critical to the community’s survival.
- Buy Local encourages and ensures local prosperity, by supporting existing jobs and creating an environment for new job growth.
For more information about Buy Local, click on these links:
- Buy Local Principles
- Buy Local or Bye, Bye Local
- A Return to the Good Ole Days
- Loyalton vs Drainville
- Great Returns
- How Much Water is in Your Pool?
- Preserve Your Community's Unique Character
- A Vote for Your Community
- Recycle Your Income
- What's in it for me?
- Maintaining Law and Order
- Retail Analysis of the Southernmost Counties of Illinois Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3